I can help you get your message out through objective value add advocacy or sponsored, unobtrusive, marketing.
The obvious way to get your brand out to a different audience is to sponsor the blog.
I have a sponsor bar on the site which you can pay to have your message displayed there on a month by month basis.
- The message appears on every blog page
- You have about 130 characters to get your message out
- The message has a single url link that it can lead to
- I would announce the start of the sponsorship on Twitter, Linkedin, Instagram, and Facebook.
- I would also mention your sponsorship in a newsletter
- cost £1000 (+ VAT) for a month on the site
The message has to be approved prior to adding to the site. And not every sponsor will be accepted.
You could sponsor an episode of the Podcast.
- Your company would be mentioned at the start of the Podcast
- And at the end of the Podcast
- Your short message and link would be added to the show notes
- The Podcast is syndicated as an audio format through itunes, spotify, etc.
- The Podcast is also added as a video on YouTube
The message has to be approved prior to agreeing inclusion in the Podcast. Not all sponsors will be accepted.
This is a much longer marketing opportunity because the Podcast episode is not changed once it is released and only one company can sponsor each episode.
Webinars Don’t Work
Pretty much everyone uses guest blogs and webinars to engage in influencer marketing in Software Development and I don’t think they really convert well.
- They don’t tend to promote your product,
- they are expensive in terms of time and effort,
- it doesn’t really convert into traffic to build either brand.
This is partly because most people lock a webinar behind a sign up, but ongoing long tail marketing for a webinar requires a different SEO approach than most companies use.
Educational Video Content Works
Educational, objective, video content can work.
- Harness YouTube SEO
- Get your product demo in front of a different audience
- An educational value can add value to the viewer
- If your tool or services adds value, then I can help show people that value
Video content can drive traffic to a website, email list signup, or product evaluation signup.
Much more so than a webinar since a demo video, is actually about your product. The call to action in an educational video actually relates to the video.
Video Marketing Service
Creation of survey/overview videos of your product
I can create an objective survey or overview video of your product e.g.:
- take one of your products
- pick one or two features
- demonstrate them in action
- video would be released to youtube and promoted on twitter
- video would be embedded in a blog post and promoted on twitter
- you would be able to retweet and promote the video or blog or embed the video in your own blog
- receive a copy of the mp4 of the video for your own promotion use
- receive a .srt file for sub titles to the video
A survey/overview is more of a feature based video which allows for an objective presentation. It won’t be a paid for advert because that might compromise my integrity and brand. But it has to be marked as ‘paid promotion’ on YouTube to meet their terms and conditions.
Hopefully your product is good and we can work on future promotions for your product more organically that I can comfortably promote on a benefits basis and create a longer term promotional relationship.
Videos can also be created directly for your channel to showcase features, you would have more control over these videos, and they would not be marked as ‘paid promotion’, I would be using my skill in creating educational video content to help you promote your tool.
Alan Richardson EvilTester.com Benefits
Most testing professionals will be able to write a blog post or present a webinar. I have the advantage that I have grown a large blog following and YouTube following. And I have a lot of video creation experience:
- created hundreds of videos
- good audio and video editing software
- ChromaKey videos
- editing skills
I can create professional product videos. Most testing and development professionals do not combine their technical skills with marketing skills to help you promote your products.
- I have an audience of 7000+ on YouTube
- I optimise my videos for SEO for both organic Youtube and SERP placement
This would be a paid for video creation, and we would have to discuss in advance the features to cover, and you would have to give me access to the product in order to make the video and potentially support me in doing so to allow the creation of the video to be smooth.
Prices will vary.
Prices will cover learning the tool in order to prepare the video script outline. I may need support to understand the tool in order to create the video. Initial videos will take longer than for tools that I am already familiar with. The price will also cover the preparation, recording, editing, production, transcribing, uploading and promotion time.
To establish some objective statistical credibility for my reach I have included some statistics below.
These would obviously be in addition to the existing marketing reach that you can achieve through your own channels.
As of February 2019.
Blog and main site blog.eviltester.com: 23000+ page views per month
- Followers 5600+
- Subscribers: 7000+
- Videos: 280+
- Total views 1.14 Million
- Last 30 days views (February 2019) - 33.2K
- Followers: 5300+
- Followers: 600+
I’m not particularly active on Facebook.
Sponsored Videos Upload Details
Videos will be marked as ‘paid promotion’ videos on YouTube, and I would state in the video if it was sponsored or an advertorial. Sponsored means I have control over the content, advertorial means you have control over the content. A retainer would cover sponsored videos for my channel. Advertorials would have to be negotiated and agreed at a different rate and under a different contract.
This is the official guidance that has to be followed for paid promotion on YouTube and compliance with UK laws. I’ve summarised the content so you don’t have to read it unless you want to.
Videos will need to have two additional settings created when run on my channel
- “video contains paid promotion”
- ” Help me inform viewers of paid promotion by adding a disclosure to this video. Additional disclosures for this video may be required under applicable laws.”
This means that a 10 second “Includes paid promotion” text message would be displayed at the start of the video at the bottom left of the video screen.
UK Advertising guidance on this topic.
- When the partner brand control content and pay for video then this is an “Advertorial” and needs to be stated at the start of the video
- When the partner brand do not control content, but pay for the video then this is “sponsored” and would be stated in the video content
In the video I would mention that “Company X has paid for my time to allow me to create a video.”. I will make the video an objective showcase rather than a review.
“There are a lot of commercial tools on the market and it is hard to get a feel for how they work and what they do. Fortunately, sometimes a company will pay for my time so that I can learn the product, pass on feedback to them and create some material which showcases what I have learned. This video has been sponsored by company X who paid for my time to learn the product and this video shows the tool in action doing X, Y and Z. The video reflects my understanding of the product and Company X has not influenced what I will say about the product.”
Videos would be uploaded to my YouTube channel without adverts enabled and the end card on the video can link to your videos to drive additional traffic to your content.
The videos can be edited to remove the disclaimers and added to your channel without the ‘includes paid promotion’ message because it is promoting your tool.
Below is a video I created to demonstrate Postman scripting functionality.
The above video was scripted, does not feature the presenter, and uses a mix of slides and screencam technology to highlight product features.
The following video is an example of an influencer personality video. It contains a product overview, using Chromakey to allow the influencer to make an appearance and show their personality as they present the product.
I have included the Vimeo links so you don’t have to see any ads.
Contact me to discuss how we can collaborate on an effective marketing strategy for your product.