We use Maven in the Java For Testers book.
Once you have Maven running it tends to work fine. You mainly experience problems when you initially install it, at the point when you know how to nothing with Maven.
I listed the main steps and actions I take in a pdf which I released to Slideshare and Google Docs.
- Debug maven issues from the command line, not from the IDE
- Read the Error Messages
- Work through “Maven in 5 Minutes”
- Compile without running the tests
- Try and download manually
- Set the proxy settings
- Read the official FAQs
- Find more hints and tips lists
- Force an update of the dependencies
- Delete your local repository cache
- Force a purge of the local repository
- Look at the effective pom and settings
- Use the dependency tree view
- Experiment and try and fix it yourself
Nothing Earth shattering there. But all things I’ve done, and told other people to do, to fix their Maven setup.