“Alan Richardson is Helping Software Testers and Developers Through Mentoring.
I receive a lot of requests via contact forms on my web sites from people asking for help and requesting mentoring.
Mentoring allows long term sustained focus on personal improvement that Consultancy often doesn’t provide the scope for.
Mentoring can be remote, or if you are based in London, can be onsite. Remote mentoring allows me to keep the costs low, and help people world wide.
I can help through:
- Personal Mentoring
- Team Mentoring
- Patreon Mentoring
The value from personal and team mentoring is often experienced immediately, because we don’t use training exercises, we work from your direct work experience.
What is a mentoring session?
Unlike consultancy which is often a week visit to help solve a problem.
Mentoring is an ongoing process to help move people forward.
A Mentoring session involves:
- preparation work prior to mentoring session to review goals, previous action steps, current industry knowledge, and make sure that we are seriously building on each session.
- We don’t want to use a canned list of simple questions to see how you are feeling, we want to push your skills and abilities to the next level.
- a video discussion
- this can range from 30 minutes to an hour
- it may involve screen sharing: to look at your code, pair on testing, review work, explore sample approaches
- covers questions, issues, examples; all related to your current situation
- post mentoring session report write up: notes, next steps, comments, research, exercises
- email contact, prompts, updates and brief Q&A email chains, between mentoring sessions to maintain momentum between sessions
If you want to improve your personal approach to software testing and development to add more value to your projects and organisation then working with a mentor is a great way to continually advance.
If you have people in your organisation that can work with you regularly to help you improve then you are lucky. In many companies people often work alone. Or the management team may not have the specialised knowledge to mentor on a technical skill level or may not have the time.
Remote mentoring can help.
- agree a direction and set of topics to target.
- regular online mentoring sessions over video conferencing
- tracking goals and results from session to session
- Q&A email contact between mentoring sessions so you don’t get stuck
This works best when it is a company sponsored engagement and your company provides the personal development budget to help you improve on a regular basis with targeted discussions based on your actual work and not just a training environment.
By working with an entire team, we can help every team member get the information they need to improve.
Team mentoring is working personally with each team member and in team mastermind sessions to share knowledge across the whole team.
And because Alan has Team Management experience. This mentoring can include the management staff, as well as the team members.
The lowest cost way I can provide mentoring is via Patreon, where I respond to questions and create content around those questions for the people in the Patreon community.
I create unique content to help address common issues and questions based on experience.
This is a great to have a regular push to help keep improvement at the forefront of your mind, with examples and techniques to experiment with.
Contact me for help with Personal or Team Mentoring.