You have installed the tools? You have an IDE setup? You’ve written and run your first Selenium WebDriver test? What next?
If you haven’t written your first test yet then try our “Start Using Selenium WebDriver” project.
You need to:
- Browse the documentation on the Selenium HQ site selenium.dev
- Check out our WebDriver Test Automation blog post categories
- Search YouTube for “Selenium WebDriver”, “WebDriver Tutorial”, etc.
- subscribe to our email list
- There are now so many people blogging and training in Selenium WebDriver that a search engine is usually the best place to start
- Build a Twitter List by following people who tweet on hashtags #WebDriver, #WebDriver, #Selenium
Read Other People’s Code
When I learned to code I did so by reading other people’s code.
People tend not to do that today, so you can get an edge.
Read the Official Source
Remember the most important code to look at is the Selenium code base itself, so in your IDE attach the source, and start browsing. The easiest way to do this is to ‘click through’ into a Selenium Method to see the source.
There are open source projects which use WebDriver - have a look at their code.
- Try searching GitHub for “selenium-java” or “selenium-server”
- Warning: there are a lot of repositories
- I have some simple and explanatory projects:
Recommended books for Java:
- Java For Testers by Alan Richardson
- Effective Java by Joshua Bloch
- Implementation Patterns by Kent Beck
- Growing Object-Oriented Software, Guided by Tests by Steve Freeman and Nat Pryce
And probably in that order.
I have some Test Pages you can practice on:
And some practice applications:
Other practice pages:
Framework Showcase Demos:
These can often be quite challenging because they are not designed as ‘automatable’ applications.
- GWT - http://www.gwtproject.org/examples.html
I used to use Todomvc a lot for demos
Open Source Apps:
Find open source applications pre-installed on virtual machines to make it easy to practice on.
The most important thing to do is to build automation code.
If you get stuck then consider our Online WebDriver Courses.
But the most important thing is to start doing. Add automation where it adds value on your projects. Add Abstraction layers so that you don’t spend your entire time maintaining the code.
Just start experimenting.