I gave the site a quick refresh in January.
I have been looking at static site generators: Hugo, DocPad.
But neither of them went quite as far as I wanted them to, and I didn’t want to have to perform a large migration effort.
Instead I refreshed the look and feel of the site a little.
Since this site uses completely homegrown code, and has evolved over the years as I’ve worked on it, it has a fairly good separation between domain, content and presentation. by this I mean I model the entities for the site as objects e.g. conference, book review, etc. Then there are content pages which describe this. And then there is a template presentation layer.
If I manage to make this separation clean enough then migrating to other systems should be simpler, but I’ve done enough that it doesn’t look too 1990’s but still meets my needs of being easy to add content to.
And if you do ever have to do this, I found the FTP Folder comparison features of Beyond Compare essential.