This page is a summary of the resources to help with installation of the Software required to work with the Java For Testers book.
The book contains text instructions which should be easy to follow. But they are deliberately short, in case the actual install for the software changes over time.
We will install 3 main pieces of software:
I have created some support videos below.
- You can read the install instructions from Java For Testers in the sample download
The following videos were created in November 2017 and are updated for new versions of Maven, JDK 1.9 and use Homebrew on Mac and Chocolatey on Windows.
The install videos use this sample Github project:
- Also see an updated version for Junit 5 https://github.com/eviltester/startUsingJavaJUnit5
Which also has install instructions:
Install on Windows
Install on Mac
My First Project
Chapter 2 has you creating a project and adding JUnit.
In this video below I show how to create a project, add JUnit 4.12 and write your first test.
The following are legacy videos that might be useful. I have ’linked’ to these instead of embedding them
- How To Install JDK
- How to Install Maven for Windows
- Install Maven For Mac - Part One
- Install Maven For Mac - Part Two
- How to Install IntelliJ
- You can also follow along with the speedrun instructions (just skip the Selenium WebDriver steps)
- I recommend you read the Maven in 5 Minutes guide
- If you have problems with maven I created a Maven Trouble Shooting FAQs
You can also download all the source code used in the book and answers for the exercises over at github:
Either clone it, or download the code as a zip file.