- When testing a web app you can look at the code
- Understand the code
- Understand errors written to the Dev Tools Console
- Workaround application defects
- Automate in the browser
- The DOM web developer displays make ever more sense
- Create helper tools as BookMarklets
- Improve your use of WebDriver’s
It increases our options, and therefore our ability to handle an increased variety of applications and technologies.
It also helps my automation;
- My CSS selector skills have improved
Tip 1… Automating in the Browser
My Test Automation U Course
- a free course
- explains how to use the browser dev tools for automating
Good for understanding the language. And Code Sandbox good for seeing code running.
Pull the language together to help you understand it as a programmer.
A good overview of the syntax and language.
Tip 5… DOM Elightenment
Read (free) DOM Elightenment
Understand and manipulate the DOM in depth. We will do this a lot when automating from the browser.
Tip 7… Support Page
The support page for my Test Automation U Course (has even more links):
Tip 8… Go Make Things
Tip 9… Useful Snippets
Check out the Chrome Extension “Useful Snippets”
Viv Richards @11vlr and I wrote this web testing tool.
And the benefit is, each time you run a command you see the JS in the console.
A fast overview you can use in the browser.
Or subscribe to their RSS feed, or read the backlog of newsletters.
Tip 12 - Java5cript.com
Java5cript.com is an updated list of videos, books and courses to work through. It did not exist when I first created this list, but since it does now, I thoroughly recommend reading through it.
It might be a little overwhelming at first, so I’ve put it lower on the list to try and restrict your options until you get the basics under your belt, then you will be able to explore Java5cript.com and find the next resource to help you on your journey.
Tip 13 - Impatient JS Books
Tip 14… Order to use them
- Subscribe to “Go Make Things” and be drip fed information - gomakethings.com
- Follow My Test Automation U Course Automating in the browser
- Read DOM Elightenment domenlightenment.com
- Course Support Page - eviltester.com/page/onlinetraining/testautomationujs
- Useful Snippets - github.com/eviltester/usefuljssnippetextension
- Visit Java5cript.com