Subscribe to the full blog feed using RSS
Recent Posts for Selenium WebDriver Test Automation Blog Posts
I generally caution against ‘Helper’ classes and Static Helper classes when I’m consulting. SlowLoadableComponent isLoaded methods can be very ugly but are a good example of where helper classes can help, and in particular fluent helper classes.
Fluent Page Objects can help make code easier to write, but we have to be careful not to couple too many classes together.
You have installed the tools? You have an IDE setup? You’ve written and run your first Selenium WebDriver test? What next?
What is the difference between getText and getAttribute? Answer, inside, with some nuances explored.
Q: “Why does Selenium not work with my Alert?” or “Why can’t Selenium handle the alert in my application?”
A: “Because the thing you think is an alert, is not an alert”
TLDR: Selecting an id with a fullstop or period in it requires a little escaping with CSS selectors.
One question that crops up a lot is “Why is my browser not closing?”, and there are multiple reasons for this.
Older Posts for Selenium WebDriver Test Automation Blog Posts
- How to Use a Fluent Wait DSL with WebDriver (2020-07-01)
- Why is my SlowLoadableComponent not waiting? (2020-07-01)
- How to Capture HTTP Messages with WebDriver (2020-07-01)
- A minimal WebDriver based DSL (2020-06-30)
- How to synchronise on application state (2020-06-30)
- How to Trigger Blur Event with WebDriver Java? (2020-06-29)
- How to highlight elements in use with Selenium WebDriver? (2020-06-29)
- How to model data shared by Page Objects? (2019-11-12)
- Is Selenium IDE a Tactical or Strategic tool? (2018-12-28)
- How to Bypass .click() and issue a click event (2018-08-07)
- Question: Can selenium be used for real world testing? & Does it take longer than manual? (2016-11-21)
- Sometimes a headless browser might meet your needs (2016-10-20)
- How to debug chained WebDriver `findElement` methods in Java (2016-08-16)
- Question: What is the best Page Object framework for Java? (2016-08-04)
- How to investigate and debug a Selenium WebDriver `@Test` error (2016-07-20)
- Lessons learned from a cloud grid bug (2015-07-24)
- Generic Selenium WebDriver Grid Configuration Handling to use BrowserStack, Saucelabs and TestingBot (2015-07-21)
- Should you use WebDriverWait instead of Asserts? (2013-12-22)
- Question: What else do I need to master? (2013-11-22)
- How to write a keyword driven test framework - an historical perspective (2013-07-24)
- Selenium WebDriver Java API Cheat Sheets (2013-04-17)
- Patterns for Automating - Some Twitter Feedback (2013-02-13)
- API Overview - Categorising WebDriver – Navigation, Interrogation, Manipulation (2012-08-21)